Frequently Asked Questions
New and returning families seem to have the same general questions every year, so hopefully some of those listed below will be helpful to you as you begin the school year.
How can I help my child prepare for school?
Be excited and express that excitement to your student. Show a positive disposition as you get ready each day; talk about the exciting opportunities that await them (i.e. making new friends, art class, an upcoming field trip…).
How can I help my child to be successful in school?
- In order to be successful in school, your child must be in school. Please make every effort to have your child on time and in school every day. Planning vacations during school time leads your child to believe that school in not important. Students miss the benefit of teacher instruction and classroom discussion which cannot be recreated doing the work at home.
- Ask good, age appropriate questions such as:
Who did you sit by at lunch today? (K)
What did you do in Art class today? (Elementary)
- Volunteer in the classroom. Students’ whose parents get involved do better in school when they see their parents are willing to participate and make at time commitment.
How soon can I begin to volunteer?
That will be up to your child’s teacher; but don’t expect to be in the classroom the first couple of weeks while your child and teacher get used to the routine.
How can I help my child with their homework?
- The number one way to accomplish smooth homework time is to set a routine and stick with it. I suggest you not have your children move right into “homework time” as soon as they get home. Remember they have already worked hard all day. Give them some down time, a snack and then get to homework. Help them to stay focused by turning off the TV, having younger siblings play in another room. etc. (Please don’t establish a routine of doing homework in the car or on the ball field.)
- Have an organized, quiet place for students to work that is close enough to an adult for younger children to request help when needed. Parents, it is important that you are a resource for help, but please resist the temptation to do the work for them. In doing so, you cheat them out of great opportunity to develop confidence and a sense of accomplishment.
How do I contact my child’s teacher?
The most efficient way to reach the staff is through email. Every staff member has a school email that follows the same structure – first initial last name.bbschl.com. Emails are listed on our staff page and will soon be accompanied by their picture.
What are the school hours?
The school is open from 7am-6pm if you need extended care; however, you may drop off K-6 at 8am without charge and your child will go directly to the playground. Preschool/pre-k need to be walked to their classroom and signed in no earlier than 8:20am. Any child dropped off prior to the times listed above will be signed into before school at a rate of $15 per hour with a one hour minimum. School ends at 3:00; however, in order to relieve traffic flow, there is a release at 2:50pm and one at 3:00pm. You will be given a pick up time based on your last name. You have until 3:07pm to pick up your child after which time they will be places in afterschool care at a rate of $15 per hour with a one hour minimum. If you know you are going to be late, please call the office (480-821-1404) and let us know so that we can inform your child.
How do I pick up and drop off my child?
- If you plan to use the drive thru loop at the elementary campus for picking up your child(ren), you must enter using Flint Street. You WILL NOT be able to use the drive through loop if you enter by the post office on Carla Vista.
- If you plan to use the parking lot for picking up your child(ren) you must enter on Carla Vista. (the street by the post office). You must enter the parking lot using the NORTH entrance. You may exit the parking lot using either the North or South entrances. Please pay attention to the signs and arrows in the parking lot. *Please refer to the Family Handbook for a more detailed explanation.
How do I pay my fees?
Preferred method for regular fees (eg.tuition/before or after care) is by ACH payment form (automatically deducted from bank account). We also accept checks, cash and money orders.
What are some good ideas for my child’s lunch?
Choose foods you know they will eat and always over pack. You may decide to purchase a small thermos to keep macaroni and cheese warm or fruit salad cold. Some creative ideas include:
- Celery or apples with peanut butter
- Tortillas filled with turkey, lettuce and cream cheese Crackers and cheese; cheese sticks
- Popped Popcorn
- Carrots and dip
- Bagel with cream cheese
- Yogurt or Gogurts
- Macaroni and cheese or spaghetti in a thermos
Where can I view the school budget?
See the 2014-15 Proposed Budget.
Please remember that we are here to help; your child’s success IS our priority. Do not hesitate to let us assist you!