Common Core Standards
Bright Beginnings endeavors to provide a creative, hands-on and an academically vigorous curriculum. Our low student-teacher ratio along with full·time instructional aides, as well as a strong parental support is our recipe for students’ success at BBS! By aligning our curriculum to the Common Core Standards, Bright Beginnings is preparing all students to succeed in our global economy and society. We strive to teach our students higher order thinking skills to apply their knowledge. We reach these goals by implementing a variety of dynamic teaching practices and curriculum that meet the needs of our bright and curious students. Some of these include:
- Ability grouping math classes that put into practice the Eight Mathematical practices endorsed by the NCTM. Our curriculum teaches the students to go from concrete to pictorial to abstract.
- Step Up to Writing which utilizes hands-on writing strategies and activities that help students proficiently write narrative, personal narrative and expository pieces.
- Go-Phonics and Phonics for Reading are multisensory instruction programs that keep students engaged and build confidence in their reading ability. These programs teach students to become successful readers through systematic explicit reading instruction.
- Reading is also cultivated through literature studies that expand on comprehension skills, vocabulary development and fluency.
- Science and Social Studies are flourished through project based learning and thematic teaching.